Image: Maheno Shipwreck on Fraser Island by Darran Leal
The time has come! Today is the day all will be revealed.
Last week, I wrote about Passports with Purpose, where the travel blogging community get together to raise money for charity. It’s our way of giving back. A way of saying thank you to the communities we’ve visited, lived amongst, learned from.
Since 2008, Passports with Purpose has raised money for Heifer International, American Assistance for Cambodia, has provided two libraries in Zambia with Room to Read, built a whole village in India and last year exceeded all expectations by raising way more than the goal, resulting in five new water wells in Haiti.
This year, the goal is to raise $115,000 for buildOn to construct three schools and fund three adult literacy programs in the Sikasso region of southern Mali, Africa.
buildOn’s Global School Construction Program provides rural communities in developing nations with access to education. For two decades, buildOn has mobilized villages in some of the poorest countries on the planet to build more than 524 schools.
How is the Money Raised?
- Travel bloggers get together with companies to offer a selection of travel-related prizes.
- A list of prizes are available on Passports with Purpose from November 26, 2013, and will essentially be raffled off.
- You can bid on as many of the prizes as you wish. The minimum donation is $10. It is possible to bid on the same prize in $10 increments, however, there is no guarantee that you’ll win it.
- Bidding is open until December 9, 2013, when the bids will be collated and winners randomly chosen.
- The winners will be announced and notified on December 16, 2013.
You are welcome to continue to donate to the fundraiser between the 9th and 16th. While you won’t be in with a chance of winning you’ll still be donating to a great cause.
What’s the Prize Already, Woman?
Trust me, it’s worth the wait.
In conjunction with hotel comparison website HotelsCombined, I am delighted to reveal our wonderful prize is a three-night stay (with extras) at one of Australia’s top eco-destinations, Mercure Kingfisher Bay Resort Fraser Island.
What You Get
The prize is for two adults:
• Three nights’ accommodation in a hotel resort room at Kingfisher Bay Resort, which is provided by HotelsCombined.
Mercure Kingfisher Bay Resort Fraser Island are providing:
• Return air transfers from Hervey Bay / Fraser Coast airport to the ferry departure point at River Heads, plus return passenger ferry transfers (walk on) for two adult passengers from River Heads to Kingfisher Bay Resort, and;
• Full day, off-road, eco-accredited Beauty Spots Tour of Fraser Island.
Total prize worth $1044 AUD
I told you it was worth your while to come back!
More About This Years’ Amazing Sponsors
Kingfisher Bay Resort is a fully-integrated ecotourism resort, which has set many benchmarks used by other tourism operators worldwide. The resort is designed to give guests an enjoyable nature-based experience on World Heritage-listed Fraser Island, while creating minimal impact on the environment. Landscaping mirrors native vegetation, while a series of walkways protect the natural dunal systems of the island.
It is estimated some 57 person years of research, including environmental impact assessment, landscape and architectural planning, energy and waste minimisation techniques, went into the project to ensure that Kingfisher Bay Resort was at the cutting edge of environmental management and design when it opened in 1992.
Prior to development, comprehensive surveys were undertaken, including a detailed site survey dealing with topography and vegetation (including major trees); an archaeological survey indicating previous Aboriginal use and habitation and European use of the site; a comprehensive inventory of all flora and fauna; and a hydrological survey.
The resort was designed by Queensland architects, constructed from local materials and built by local builders and artisans. The timber is Australian and most of it comes from the local timber species. Buildings are below the tree line and are limited to two levels, and where possible, designed around major trees.
Kingfisher’s expert rangers take guests on guided tours of Fraser Island’s significant natural and geological features, and Aboriginal and European histories, while self-guided walking trails with interpretive signage offer guests the chance to explore at their leisure.
I’ve had my eye on Kingfisher Bay for some time. Their philosophy embodies what Eco Traveller Guide is all about, which is why I’m so delighted to be working with them and Hotels Combined to bring you this great prize.
HotelsCombined is the world’s leading hotel price comparison site, allowing travellers to find the best prices from all the best travel sites in one search. They search hundreds of hotel price sites so you don’t have to, including Hotel Club, Expedia and Hotels.com, often finding rates at up to 80 per cent off.
More than 200 million people a year use HotelsCombined.com to find the best prices for over 400,000 hotels in 120,000 destinations across the world.
It’s also easy to find green accommodation options through them. Just search for ‘eco’ and the name of the destination you want to go to and a list of eco-accredited hotels will appear in the dropdown menu.
Only a few weeks ago, they ran an interview with me on their blog where I mentioned a few of my favourite ecotourism destinations – two of which can be booked through their site: The Great Ocean Eco Lodge and Aboriginal Community, Gnylmarung.
Again, I am thrilled to be working with both of these great companies to bring you an amazing prize.
Of course, as I said in the post last week, it’s not all about us. Even if the prize on offer is not something that appeals, or won’t work because it’s in Australia, please don’t let this put you off donating.
To bid on this prize, or any of the other great prizes, and help buildOn to construct three schools and fund three adult literacy programs in Mali, head over to Passports with Purpose and donate!
And don’t forgot, the bidding for prizes closes on December 9. The fundraiser ends on December 16, 2013.
Happy bidding, and good luck!
Terms and Conditions of the Prize:
- This prize is valid until 01 December 2014
- The prize is subject to availability at the time of booking and cannot be taken during school holiday periods, public holidays or long weekends.
- The prize is not valid with any other offer, is not transferable or redeemable for cash and must be taken intact. If not utilised in this time the prize will be forfeited and no extensions will be granted. If lost or misplaced, vouchers will not be replaced.
- The holder of the voucher (which will be sent to the winning bidder by post) cannot on-sell or auction the prize for any monetary benefit. Kingfisher Bay Resort reserves the right to revoke the validity of the voucher, if such an incident occurs.
- Any alterations to travel plans may incur a rebooking fee.
- Kingfisher Bay Resort may, without notice to the prize-winner, substitute any services or the mode of carriage to carry the passenger.
- Food, beverages and incidental expenses will be at the expense of the prize-winner unless otherwise stated.