Australia, Feast, Featured Articles
comments 11

Australian Wax Tip Eco-Bananas

Nestled against the piles of yellow bananas in grocery stores around Australia are bunches of small yellow bananas with bright red waxed tips. The fruit is the product of farmers Frank and Dianne Sciacca of Pacific Coast Produce, which is located in Northern Queensland near Innisfail among the sugar fields of the region.

Established in 1999, the farm produces the wax tip eco-banana through environmentally friendly farming practices.

Eco-Farming

According to the company website, “nature inspired innovation to produce a better banana.” When purchasing the eco-bananas, customers are supporting a farming practice that “reduces the impacts of agrichemicals and synthetic fertilisers.” No nematicides, insecticides or miticides are used on the soil and minimum amount of fertiliser is used throughout production. The company claims that this produces a more natural growing cycle and whilst farming, they seek to improve soil biology.

At Pacific Coast Produce, “water is used efficiently through drip systems, minimising runoff and protecting water quality.” Attention to the environmental sensitivity is important as it ultimately affects surrounding ecosystems, including the nearby Great Barrier Reef.

Wax Tip Bananas

The wax tip is a marketing ploy used by the company to differentiate their eco-product in the produce section of grocery stores. Each banana is hand dipped into hot, food grade wax at the time of packing at the farm.

The farming practices at Pacific Coast Produce yield a sweet fruit that has a hint of caramel. Unlike other bananas, the eco-banana has a satisfying density akin to the small ladyfinger bananas from the same region. The company asserts that the banana has an extended shelf life however the fruit is so inciting, the bunch rarely lasts long enough to spoil.

The Farm

Tourists visiting North Queensland who have had enough of the rainforests and reefs are able to visit the farm through appointment only. Although Pacific Coast Produce is not open for structured tours on a daily basis, they do offer tours for larger groups that simply need to be coordinated in advance.

The area is a popular destination for backpackers seeking work in the fruit picking industry and Pacific Coast Produce offers employment opportunities for backpackers travelling in the area.

Pacific Coast Eco Bananas, 228 Boogan Road, Mourilyan via Innisfail QLD 4860

11 Comments

1. Julie says

I love bananas, and these sound yummy and much better for both us and the environment. A win-win situation.

• Too true, Julie.
      Although, knowing massive spiders like to hide within the bunches puts me off the whole fruit picking idea!

2. Lance says

Dumbest marketing idea ever. I bought these things once and ended up with bits of wax all over the place.
    Why, oh why would you make a natural product such a pain in the arse to eat?
    Oh, and they didn’t taste any better than any other banana I can find.

• Hi Lance,

What on earth were you doing with the bananas to get wax all over the place! It never comes off mine.
      And how were you eating them? There’s only a little red tip on the banana.
      They may not taste any different, but because of the way they’re farmed they’re not covered in toxic pesticides. I prefer my fruit just as nature intended it… without all the toxic crap sprayed over it.

I avoid eating lots of fruit here for the same reason. If it stings the heck out or your mouth when eating it… as many apples do here… I don’t think they’re good enough to eat. Same goes for grapes.

3. Thomas Archer says

I live in Australia and I am shamed to say I haven’t even tried the red tipped bananas. After reading this though, I will definitely give them a try.

4. Joe. says

I agree with others. They may be environmentally grown but they taste like any other banana.But the wax is not environmental as it does not break down in the compost bin.
    Also the fruitier does not differentiate your product as environmental. Joe. W.

5. M JOCUMSEN says

Red tip bananas are the only bananas I eat. They taste like the authentic banana I ate when I was a child. Yummy and flavoursome. If these are not available, I won’t buy the standard bananas as they taste rubbery and have no flavour!

• I’m with you!
      I do taste a difference… but then it could be all in my head!

ps.
      I love how this post is still getting comments 5 years later!

6. deedee says

I tried Red tipped Bananas for the first time this week. they taste like bananas should.. lovely flavour and texture.. I will be buying them again

• Hi deedee,

I love that even though this post was written five years ago people are still finding it!
      The red tips are green now in a lot of shops. Not sure why, but still very tasty.

7. Thanks for this article. I’ve been buying red tipped bananas for a while now, on and off. Regular bananas are often a bit ‘floury’, these red tipped bananas are always delicious. its good to know the production difference, and I’m often disappointed with organics at the supermarket being overly packaged. Red tips seem like a much better compromise to distinguish the product.